Wednesday, February 15, 2012

10 COMPELLING REASONS YOU SHOULD ATTEND MOUNT HERMON

From Mary DeMuth:
When it comes to your career, you must invest in it to create more opportunities. When I first attended Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference in 2003, I was unpublished in terms of books. I wrote a column for a small local newspaper and had a few freelancing successes with print magazines. I’d attended several critique group meetings and participated in one local conference. And I’d written my first novel.
After asking advice from other writers, I realized that to take my career to the next level, I needed to find the money to go to a national conference. My whole writing life changed the day I stepped onto the redwood-laden grounds of Mount Hermon. Truly.

I would not be where I am today without Mount Hermon.

There, I met my first literary agent, who ushered me into book publishing. I met some of my very best friends in the whole wide world. I made friends with several people in the industry, relationships that have blossomed over the years. (I’ve even written for some of them, collaborated with others, and formed deep connections with many.)
Why Mount Hermon? Here are ten compelling reasons why you should prayerfully consider attending:
  1. Liz Curtis Higgs, one of the best speakers I’ve heard, is the keynote queen. I cannot wait to hear her. She’ll have you crying one minute, busting stitches in hilarity the next.
  2. Many of the major publishers will be represented at this conference. While you  normally can’t query a publisher without an agent, that process is changed at Mount Hermon. You can meet directly with them. Publishers include: Thomas Nelson, Baker/Revell, Standard Publishing, Harvest House Publishers, Hensley Publishing, WaterBrook/Multnomah Publishing Group, Beacon Hill Press, Zondervan, and AMG International.
  3. There will be several literary agents at Mount Hermon, looking for new clients.Agents include Karen Ball, Diana Flegal, Janet Kobobel Grant, Joel Kneedler, Steve Laube, Wendy Lawton, Barbara Scott, and Les Stobbe. Each of these agents is a catch. They’re the real deal, and they work hard for their clients.
  4. The gateway to book publication is having publishing credits in well known magazines.So it’s really great to have these publications represented: Christianity Today, Guideposts, Focus on the Family, Daysrping cards, Advanced Christian Writer, The Christian Communicator, Gospel Roads, and The Upper Room.
  5. With your registration, you get free access to folks who are professional writers who will critique your work. This is invaluable and is worth the price of admission. You cannot grow in your craft if you don’t have professionals take an unbiased look at your work. The critique is open for business every day so you can walk in and show your staggering work of genius.
  6. There are mentoring tracks as well, where you get intensive assistance and help on your WIP (work in progress.) You can even come early for the Head Start Mentoring Clinic. I’m leading a head start group and a conference group, both in fiction. I’d LOVE to see you in my group!
  7. You can choose from some highly informative tracks. Here’s a listing.  I’d encourage you to take a track that will truly benefit you, one that you don’t yet have mastery of yet.
  8. The surroundings are breathtaking. The air smells of evergreen. The trees tower higher than you expect. The spring blooms shock you with their vibrancy. There are several trails if you need to get away and recharge.
  9. The food is A. Maz. Ing. You won’t find better camp food. It’s balanced, fresh, creative, and plentiful.
  10. The people rock. You will meet new friends you’ll make FOR LIFE. I am not exaggerating. I trace many of my most significant friendships back to Mount Hermon.

Besides all this, I’m just selfish and I’d like to meet you.So please prayerfully consider registering today.

March30-April 3. www.mounthermon.org/writers.

share




No comments: